Racism is an ideology which, based on the postulate of the existence of human races, considersthat certain races are intrinsically superior to others. This ideology can lead to an attitude ofhostility or systematic sympathy towards a particular category of people. It concerns behaviors,words or practices that disadvantage people because of their skin color, culture or ethnic origin.Fighting racism requires a strong political will, affirmed at the highest level of the state andleaves all the institutions of proximity. This issue needs to be widely debated and explained inall spheres of the society, in schools, colleges and universities but also in the world of sport, incompanies, associations, professional circles and family units.Racism is a parasite that proliferates and feeds on times of crisis, which generates violence,massacres. It is during these difficult times that blindness, insanity and stupidity takeprecedence over the good sense of the human being.Today, our continent is traversed by this scourge with the rise of the extreme right and politicalparties of nationalist and racist obedience. Racism is no longer a question of racial superiority,but the anxiety we feel about another person who is different and who we cannot understand.Contempt and exclusion are the result of this anxiety that turns into outright rejection. In allstates, all origins, all beliefs and cultures are affected. Each of us is an actor and a victim ofracism, consciously or not.This project is designed to educate and train youth workers on a delicate and very sensitiveissue so that they respond in a pedagogical way to young people on this issue and that they areresources for them in terms of information, awareness and actions. The response to racism canbe achieved through various means by understanding racism, discrimination, and moving fromprejudice to discrimination. It’s necessary to understand that racism is a crime severelypunishable by law as is discrimination.There is a need to understand how to act when we witness or are victim of racist ordiscriminatory acts. It will also enable us to train and promote the organization of workinggroups and support the actors in the implementation of concrete, feasible and efficientmechanisms. Stages, concrete case studies, simulations and testimonials will be on the menuduring this training for an exchange of good practices.During this project, our association Collectif ENTR’ACTION and the other partners, setthemselves as objectives:– Raise interest in human rights and issues of racism.– Develop tools and skills for democratic participation, communication and cooperation.– Empower youth workers in the fight against racism– Promote responsibility, justice and solidarity.– Questioning one’s practices by living an intercultural experience– Development of a policy for the management of racist incidents at school (or in a club ororganization).– Establish a social network to enable the different actors of activities, confronted with theseremarks, to be able to act and implement mechanisms to prevent or correct the effectsthreatening social cohesion and thus contribute to the preservation of a civic space withoutracism.The ultimate objective of this training is to bring out a shared strategy for preventing andcombating the expression of racism, in order to facilitate access to the rights of victims and toreduce the racist expression and make it intolerable in the society.So this project aims to provide pedagogical tools, concepts and information about racism usefulfor youth workers’ daily professional life. They will discover and develop new skills to reacttowards racism in their environment and to help youngsters to do the same. We will use for thatdifferent kind of activities such as real cases, simulations, games, theater, creation activities,meetings etc…The project will take place in POITIERS from 14 to 22 June 2021 with 21 participants from 7organizations.
- PROFILE OF PARTICIPANTS– experienced youth workers– youngsters who have an active citizen engagement– having notions on discrimination, racism, leadership, citizenship– able to follow up after the project for a long continuity
- Countries involvedEstoniaFranceGermanyGreeceRomaniaSpainTurkeyAll the participants are expected to participate fully in all activities, unless you are ill.Unauthorized absence from activities and workshops is not permitted.The workshops are carried out and led, so that all participants can share their point of view. Weexpect you to be very participative and fully involved in the activities.Failure to attend the workshops, it will not be possible to be reimbursed for international travelcosts.The workshops are carried out in groups, depending on the theme of the workshop, the groupscan be mixed or not.We film and photograph all the activities and workshops. These images are intended for theproper use of the project and are the own use of ENTR’ACTION association. If you have aproblem, please tell us and we will manage not to film or photograph you.Accommodation and Activity placeAddress: Les Chalets du Grand RecoinGrand Recoin – 86 360 MontamiséPhone : 05 49 45 59 94Site : https://www.chalets-recoin.com/What to bring with you For this project, we kindly ask you to prepare in advance these 3 events:
- The presentation of your organization. We demand you to bring clear information about the main activities of your organization, so that you can present it at the organization gallery during the training course.
- The cultural evening. Each country group will have to organize a cultural evening, where you will have to present some elements of your culture, in any way you want (sketch, songs, presentation, game, map, posters, and postcards about your country/ region/town…). You can use PowerPoint or any other visual medium for your presentation, you are totally free!
- The international coffee. This event is a special moment of this project, we will discover each country by some gastronomic specialties (food and/or drinks). You are free to do whatever you want. You can cook a traditional meal such as a starter, a main meal, or a dessert, or you can bring some traditional delights. If you decide to cook, please prevent as before, so we can manage to provide you the tools you will need. The meal that you will prepare has to be a simple one because you will have around 2 hours to cook it. If you want to bring the ingredients you will need, it’s possible, we will have fridge, if need. If it’s not possible, thanks for informing us in advance so we can manage to have time to go shop. You also need to bring: ✓ Laptop ✓ Personal hygienic kit and towel set ✓ medicine that you usually take ✓ Your artistic skills! Any talent that you can share with us, which you definitely will need during creativity workshops. Travel cost and reimbursements We will refund you based on actual costs incurred and on presentation of:
- Invoice of the plane ticket
- Boarding Pass with the clear mention of the passenger
- All other transportation-related bills
- All refunding procedures will be done after the training project and directly to your sending association, which is the official partner of the project.
- Project timeline:
- Apply here.
- October 2020 – the participants will be required to arrange their travel, with ANKA’s support;
- 14th of June 2021- 22th of June 2021 – the TC takes place;
- Within 7 days after the TC, assuring project visibility and dissemination of results according to https://ankayouthngo.org/index.php/visibility/;
The organizers will cover the following costs with the support of the European Commission:
- 100% of meals, accommodation, activities costs, materials.
- Transport cost up to 360 EUR per participant (Note: the reimbursement will be done after the project by bank transfer).
Participants will be required to cover:
- (if needed) medical insurance;
- (if needed) any other personal costs.
What to bring, what to prepare:
- Comfortable clothes and shoes, any medicine you think you will need;
- Prepare to present your organisation at professional level.
- Prepare to present local culture and traditions;
- Please bring traditional food and drinks for the intercultural evening.
Other important information:
- In order to start their travel, Turkish participants should own a valid passport and visa; this project is only open for people who have EU citizenship, or EU Residency. Green passport holders are also encouraged to apply however priority will be given to those having EU citizenship, or EU Residency due to covid 19 pandemic and travel restrictions.
- Arrangements regarding medical insurance are the responsibility of the participants;
- In order to be eligible, Turkish participants should start their travel from Turkey.
- The selected participants will need to assure the visibility & dissemination of results for this project: https://ankayouthngo.org/index.php/visibility/;
For more information, contact us at email@example.com, subject: Racism Project – Questions”